A Call to Action–bloggie friends, I need you!

Sfgirlbybay
Get a load of THIS one!!!  I get a phone call today from the event manager at the restaurant where we’re having the wedding–in 13 days.  No, it’s not in six months, or in 2009.  It’s in 13 days.

I answer the phone jovially and say "Oh, I meant to call you–we need to firm up the menu selections".  She says, equally jovially "We have to move your wedding to another location."

Okay, so that was paraphrased, but the gist (how do you spell gist?) is that they are having some sort of permit problems with number of guests or some hullabaloo–and it would be a great help to them if I wouldn’t mind relocating the wedding to the sister location down the street.

Now, if the wedding were in July, I would leap at this opportunity–it’s a beautiful Japanese garden setting that is stunning when in bloom.  But seeing as it’s two weeks away it all just seems like a giant inconvenience.  Dino is leaving town on business on Thursday, so he won’t even be around to see the place and help me decide.  I would have to send out new direction cards to all 40 guests, PLUS call them all to let them know of the change–guess that’s better than calling them all to let them know the wedding’s off.  Aaaand the room is twice the size of the room I’ve planned and budgeted decorations for.

So friends, I call on you to, number 1, help me to "Keep Calm and Carry On" as Etsy seller SFGirlbybay  suggests, and to, number 2, give me some suggestions on economical and fun decorations!  HELLLLLLLLP!!!

March 25th, 2008

13 Responses

1. KARIN SAM says:

don’t worry ..doot , doot ,doot , dootdoot doodoot, be happy!!!

2. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry :( That is awful of a venue to do that, but I have to be honest…your new venue sounds amazing. What are your colors? Can you possibly do an inspiration board with the stuff you have already? Like the decor, invites, and everything you have already done…then we can go from there :)

3. This on the tail end of yesterday’s “I’m frazzled” post!? OK-
    1. KEEP CALM! (you know this already, but it doesn’t hurt to hear it again).
    2. As long as it’s an upgrade, I’d go for it. Granted the size means more work- oh hell, the whole thing means more work, but in the end you will probably be happy for the extra space.
    3. Don’t do something elaborate in telling everyone you need to move the venue. Give your mom and a good friend the list of people to call- you handle the mailing design and run it off inexpensively yet with a touch of class, which we’re all confident you can do quickly. No one will expect this to be as gorgeous as the invites.
    4. I’ve got no suggestions on decorations. I’m bad in that department. I’d probably say “balloons and lots of em” but I’ve got a kid, so balloons is the answer to everything.
    5. KEEP CALM!
    6. Keep thinking that this will be a good story to tell someday.
    Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress when you can find the time!

4. Caroline says:

Yipes! I’m terrible at planning things like weddings (hubby and I had our “wedding” in our back yard, with about ten people total), so I’m afraid I’m not much help… but I wish you the best of luck!

5. Nancy says:

I would let the Event Coordinator tell YOU how SHE is going to help! Certainly they can do some decorating, to offset your inconvenience. And I think it’s a great idea to delegate those direction phone calls.

6. Yes…delegate the calling list…definitely.
    Yes…let the event planner tell you how she’s going to help with suggestions and prop loans to make the space more intimate.
    If they have a Japanese garden, do they have any trees planted in pots that could be brought indoors to help screen off an area to make the space smaller?

7. Nicole RJ says:

Oh my! And he just figured this out when you called him?
    I agree, get your moms to do some phoning. As the venue is just down the street you may not even need to mail anything! Just have the hostess at the current venue ready to guide forgetful guests to your new place!
    As for decor – can they provide you with room screens or something similar to block off half the room? On the up side, your guests will have plenty of room to move about!
    I hope it all works out, and I’m sure it will – and still be a wonderful wedding!

8. nichole says:

Twinkle lights make everything look elegant!
    When I got married, I had visions of tiny white lights sparkling all around me. My mom caught the vision and we bought up loads and loads of white twinkle lights which made the reception look understated and elegant.
    That is my number one recommendation!
    Believe it or not, no matter what happens, your wedding day will be a day you never forget and will most likely turn out splendidly!
    Hope you post pictures on your blog!

9. Tulle is pretty & inexspensive- paper flowers- maybe a few larger candles like tiered? good luck girlie- remember no one will mind if there are parts that look sparse it is all about you & Dino!!

10. Angela says:

I agree with Caroline above- put some pressure on the venue coordinator to step up and help you out. If it was their error at this close of a date, they had better make sure you’re happy!
    As for decorations, I’d say have them arrange the furniture in the space to seem more intimate, ask for screens, etc. Lighting is everything. It depends on what your current theme is like, but do you have an Asian market near you? You could get lots of nice hanging paper lanterns to make the space seem smaller.
    And forget sending out new cards. Delegate calling or do an email list.

11. JC says:

Spread out your tables? If you can spring for another center piece or two, do tables of 6-8 instead of 8-10 and add a table.
    Rent trees?
    rent some soft seating from your local furniture rental place?
    Bring the table for the gifts, or cards, or place cards into the main room?

12. Crafty Mama says:

That’s just not nice! The dollar stores near me carry plain vases for cheap floral arrangements. Other than that, borrow every potted plant you can get your hands on to fill every corner.
    P.S. You’ve been tagged. Visit my blog for more info!
    As if you’re not busy enough, huh?

13. jessica says:

wow! Delegate the responsiblity to someone you trust and someone who would see it as a honor–that will help you Keep Calm.
    Flowers–in vases…at my wedding last minute it looked to plain, it was lillac season so my aunt cut some lillacs threw them in some vases and my wedding smelled lovely and it perked it right up.